Friday, November 24, 2017

This Has Been Quite the Week!!

It started out last Wednesday when all of the electricity in the house went out about 9:00 a.m.  Now, because the wiring in this house is so bad, this has happened before but when I went to the electrical box to re-set all of the breakers, I got an electrical storm on one of them.  I left all the breakers off.  Decided, well it is time to find that electrician that I have been trying to track down for almost 2 weeks.

I left the house to go see if I could use the wifi at the library and find this Dale guy.  Kelly was headed out for breakfast.  But just as he was getting ready to leave, he heard a voice say, "check the attic."  He listened and ended up preventing an electrical fire that was starting in the attic.  We later figured out that a mouse may have eaten through the wire, causing the 20 inch long burn in the one wire and a charred cross beam with burning embers inside!!  yikes!!  Thank you to Heavenly Father for speaking to Kelly and to Kelly for listening and acting !!

I found Dale and he came over to fix the problem on Thursday let morning and is going to come back to re-wire the entire house.  But not until at least the middle of December!!  We are hoping to have all new electricity as our Christmas present!!

Then on Friday, our roofer came out and started working on the roof.  Kelly and Monte got the felt down on the western side and got the metal roofing up on that side!!




Hey, Fiddler on the Roof!!



Then on Sunday, there was sunshine in the morning and we got the felt and the metal up on the eastern side of the roof before and after Church.




Bright and early Tuesday morning Monte came by to finish the last partial roofing piece on both sides of the roof.  Here Monte is teaching Kelly how to use electric metal cutters to cut a straight line the entire length of the ribs.  We did have to cut about 8 inches off of all the metal ribs before getting them up on the roof and that was my job with hand metal shears.
 


At this point in the morning, the wind had really picked up and in order not to slide off the roof, Monte had to straddle the peak to screw the bolts into the crown piece.  We paid Monte and thanked him for his incredible help and sent him on his way.


After Monte left, we realized that the floor in the Studio was staying wet because the rain was running down the siding and under it to soak the sill plate and leak into the floor.  So we added 1" x 2" trim over the sill plates after we siliconed the sill plates.  Looks pretty crappy right now but once it is painted it will be fine.



Wednesday was sort of a down day and so Kelly decided to tackle the shelves in the kitchen!!  He was tired of them looking like this:


Only they had only gotten worse over time, just piling stuff on the shelves when there was no place else to put the stuff.

And now the shelves look like this:



Kelly is pretty happy with himself as it does look really nice but the only problem is I have to search for everything because whatever I am looking for is not in the same place it has been for the past few months.  Ya, know, change at my age can be quite difficult!!  LOL!!

Then today, we primed the back wall because we had hours of sun and warm and the rain was keeping this wall totally soaked.  It was so white, that I had to wear sunglasses while I was painting!! We got two good coats on it and it has the rest of the day to dry as we are not supposed to have any rain until late tomorrow morning.


Then, the most exciting moment of the day was when we moved my longarm quilter out to the Studio!!  It is dry enough in there now and it is becoming official!!
 

I also moved some boxes of fabric in ~


And my antique round table and chairs for when I have visitors!!


So, now, instead of the kitchen looking like this:


We now have the beginnings of something that looks a bit more like a kitchen!!


We are now waiting to see if Dale, the electrician might have a several hour window from his other jobs where he can come rough the wiring into the Studio so we can insulate, put up the bead board, paint the floor and bring out the lime green carpet from inside the house!!

Things are getting real now!!  Hoo! Hoo!

3 comments:

  1. Oh how very blessed we are for divine intervention. I am so thrilled with how your home, and studio are coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it IS getting real, isn't it? It is looking so nice! I am so thankful God nudged Kelly to check the attic! Oh, my! What a kind and loving Lord we serve!!! It is hard to imagine all of the dangers He spares us from that we never even know about. Thank the Lord for looking out for you all. God is so good! It is so much fun to watch the progress He is enabling you all to make, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear about your projects! It's wonderful that Kelly not only heard, but harkened. I'm glad you are starting to get things put together in the studio. Hopefully the house will come along as well.

    ReplyDelete

If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother . . .

so says Robin Williams quoting Sigmund Freud!! :-) Late Friday afternoon, well of course, our well stopped working and we had no water ...