Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Ah, the Hippy Dippy Do 60's . . .

I have known for a long time that the bullet holes in the windows was letting in the outside humidity in buckets full but I had no idea how much!!

Last week I was talking to my new neighbor and he has a little house across the street that is about 1/2 the size of my house.  I was complaining about getting into a wet nightgown and into wet sheets and he said he had a large dehumidifier and he emptied the water reservoir a couple of times a day.

Now, I had purchased a small table top dehumidifier several weeks ago but it did not seem to do much so I broke down and got a 50 pint dehumidifier ~


Well, it works great!!  The first day I had to empty the reservoir 2 times!!  That is 100 pints of water!!  Yikes!!  One pint equals 2 cups!!  That is a lot of water!!

I set it to 45% humidity and now I can get into a drier nightgown and dry sheets!!  Hallelujah!!

So, I have been trying to decide what to do about the wet air coming into the windows through the bullet holes and I came up with a solution.  When I first got here, I hung a shirt in the kitchen window, mainly to keep the cold air from coming in ~


You might remember this from a previous post.  Well, I am happy to say, I now have bright flowers and hearts covering the holes in the windows all through the house!!





Now, we'll see if the dehumidifier has to work less and produces less water.  I do take the water outside and water the lawn in the front yard!!  Ya know, it is best to recycle!!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad you don't have to put on a wet nightgown and crawl into wet sheets anymore. That does not sound like fun.
    What a great solution to the bullet holes. And it gives you happy things to see wherever you look, if the house renovation is getting you down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great solution. I think it is awesome how you are working through your renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great solution to your problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Wendy. Looks like an effective solution

    ReplyDelete

A Couple of Projects We did Awhile Back . . .

This is the back porch off the kitchen.  If you enlarge the picture (by clicking on it), you can see that the floor of the room is wayyyyy b...